Established in 2009, the Open Education Resource Foundation (OERF) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that provides leadership, international networking and support for educational institutions to achieve their strategic objectives through open education.
The activities of the Foundation are carried out exclusively for charitable educational purposes. The Foundation generates revenue from OERu partner membership fees, commissioned projects and donor support for selected strategic activities. The OERF has a small staff compliment: Wayne Mackintosh, Director of the Foundation; and Jim Tittsler, Lead Technologist. The OERF hosts the technology infrastructure for OERu learners.
The Foundation is governed by an international Board of Directors:
- Robin Day (PhD), Independent Chair of the Board of Directors, New Zealand
- Wayne Mackintosh (PhD), UNESCO-COL Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
- Jim Taylor (PhD), Emeritus Professor, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- Rory McGreal (PhD), UNESCO-COL Chair in OER, Athabasca University, Canada
- David Porter (PhD), Executive Director, BCcampus, Canada
- Philip Cullen, Chief Operating Officer, Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand
- Christopher Staynes, Deputy Mayor, Dunedin City Council, New Zealand
The registered office of the OERF is based at the Otago Polytechnic, 3rd floor, F Block, Forth Street, Dunedin, New Zealand. The Foundation is duly registered with the New Zealand Charities Commission (No.CC40964)